Most of us have been the victim of a fraud, scam, data breach, identity theft or social media hacking. By most, we mean 9-in-10 of us! That’s one of the findings from a MoneyGram/One Poll survey.
Our trusting online behavior is part of the problem, the poll shows. Here’s the “what and why” of our getting scammed.
- 63-percent of us have been victims of a scame, like a romance request or wiring money to someone
- 56-percent were victims of fraud
- And 54-percent had their social media accounts hacked
- Surprisingly, only 49-percent of us have been breach victims
Here’s why we get stung:
- 1-in-10 would take a call from an unknown number or reply to an email from an unknown sender.
- 1-in-8 takes a romance request from a stranger
- 1-in-9 looks at job offers from a place they’ve never applied that has a name “similar” to a popular company
The remedy many (50-percent) say would take care of all this is living off the grid.